Ushers enhance worship by serving before, during, and after services. Responsibilities include:
- Arrive a little early to ensure that the sanctuary is prepared for worship
- Distribute order-of-worship folders and parish notes to congregants upon arrival
- Assist congregants with seating as needed
- Count and record attendance
- Collect the offering during the service
- Direct congregants to communion
- Otherwise assist Pastor and Worship Assistant as needed
- After the late service, ushers are responsible making sure the building is secure
Ushers are normally scheduled to serve about one Sunday per month, but they may serve somewhat more often during Advent and Lent, when midweek and other special services are held. Including pre- and post-service tasks, the usual time commitment is 30 to 45 minutes beyond the length of the worship service.
Minimal training is necessary, and it can be provided in a 1-hour training session or by shadowing a current usher for a service or two.